Brief Description Of Samarium Powder Sm
Samarium is a chemical element with symbol Sm and atmoic number 62.
It is a moderately hard silvery metal that slowly oxidizes in air.
Being a typical member of the lanthanide series, samarium usually assumes the oxidation state +3.
Compounds of samarium(II) are also known, most notably the monochalcogenides SmS monoxide SmO, SmSe and SmTe, as well as samarium (II) iodide .
Specification of Samarium Metal Sm
|Element||Test Result(ppm)||Element||Test Result(ppm)|
Properties of Samarium Metal Sm
Freshly prepared samarium has a silvery luster.
In air, it slowly oxidizes at room temperature and spontaneously ignites at 150 °C.
Even when stored under mineral oil, samarium gradually oxidizes and develops a grayish-yellow powder of the oxide-hydroxide mixture at the surface.
The metallic appearance of a sample can be preserved by sealing it under an inert gas such as argon.
Application of Samarium Metal Sm
1. Samarium Metal is widely applied in making speciality alloys, it increase the strengths of alloys of metals such as chromium, aluminium, and magnesium
2. One of the most important applications of samarium is in samarium-cobalt magnets, which have a nominal composition of SmCo5 or Sm2Co17
3. Used as catalyst and chemical reagent
4. samarium is added to ceramics and glasses where it increases absorption of infrared light.
5. Samarium Metal can be further processed to various shapes of ingots, pieces, wires, foils, slabs, rods, discs and powder.